Well it has been an interesting, full of some private struggles week, but we did a fair share of trying be wise with funds.
* Earlier this week with my grandma, I cooked my first meal from scratch. It was chicken and dumplings with biscuits, that yes we cut with a cookie cutter into the shapes of hearts. Alot of work but so much fun. Although I don't enjoy cleaning up.
* My husband cut his own hair.
* Accepted 8 bags of hot dog rolls that were left over from a friends anniversary party and froze them.
* Each time we went out we did our best to combine errands
* I buy our dogs food at a local pet depot, and they have a rewards program and we recieved 5.00 off her bag of food.
* I mentioned in my holiday budgeting post that we were going to email our Christmas cards but this week I came home and the Kelloggs's reward program had emailed me some codes for $20.00 of free Christmas cards plus a code to get free shipping, so I took advantage of the offer and designed the cards with pictures we took in our homemade photo shoot. We are now getting 25 photo Christmas cards for free from Shutterfly. (if you don't have your own code, i heard you can literally google shutterfly codes and get one)
* I used some coupons at Michael's to finish my craft supply shopping in order to finish some Christmas, birthday, and wedding present projects and saved a total of $11.00.
* Renewed library books over the phone instead of having to make the trip in the car.
* Got a $14.00 incorrect charge on our bank statement refunded (it really is worth the time to look over your monthly statements from banks and even your utility bills to be sure they aren't incorrectly charging you for something.)
* I had previously used Wen shampoo...but I never paid for it...a friend of mine had given me two bottles completely free over the summer when she was cleaning out her home. Well it finally ran out and I went back to the Suave 1.00 bottle of shampoo. I noticed a problem that plagued my scalp for years returned when i was using the cheaper shampoo. There is no way I can afford to buy the actual Wen. I did find a good deal, but I didn't want to have to pay shipping and take a chance on getting caught up in automatic shipping/payment of the product etc. So i did some research and found this blog http://blushandlace.com/2012/12/06/make-your-own-wen-style-cleansing-conditioner-or-buy-the-drugstore-dupe/ I went to Walgreens and purchased the RenPure dup in Pomegranate, so far no scalp problem, and I paid just 7.00. It will last me two or three months.
* I went to pick up a jacket for my son that we found on a yardsale facebook site, fully prepared to pay the $5.00 for it but when the gentleman found out it was really for my kid and I wasn't try to just pick up something and resell it he gave it to me for free. I was so thrilled I hugged him, and we surprised my son with the jacket to celebrate his awesome report card of straight A's.
* I also got a .99 photo collage to give away as a photo gift from Walgreens. The code came in my email directly from Walgreens.
* we also attended an early thanksgiving dinner with hubbys fam and we made pumpkin pies and corn muffins with things we had in the pantry already
Sorry for the rant, that is about it. How did you save or spend wisely this week?