Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sharing Ways we Save

so not every week can be successful right......

This week our Yorkshire Terrier who is only 4 months old broke his leg

We could not afford 2 grand for surgery that included pins....so we opted for a splint instead and six weeks confinement.  It's been a long and tiring week.....the dog each night has gotten sick in the middle of the night, but i think we figured out it may have been a side effect of the pain medicine.  We reduced the amount we gave him last night and we had a good night.....The bright spot in all of this is that I did not have to purchase a crate for confinement...i simply asked all the locals at the vet if they might have a crate i could borrow, and a sweet lady called me and offered me a crate to borrow for the six weeks.  I told her she had no idea how much that meant to our family!

The second frugal flop of the week was the brand new crock pot i just bought a few weeks ago...slipped out of my hand and the ceramic crock shattered all over the floor.  I am not in a position to replace it right now.  We have alot going on, and need tires for the car etc.  So I have to make my choices, and with check up for the dog needed over the next couple weeks, a crock pot is not a top priority.

The frugal things that were successful this week are, making chocolate chip pancakes, using left overs from a meal of chicken and rice and putting it in a pot with veggies to make a new meal of soup.  I also cut up some strawberries that were about to go bad and mixed them with lemonade in the blender to make popsicles.  That is about as much as I can remember.  I also made Pumpkin Spice body scrub for Aunti L to use as giveaways at a baby shower she hosted.  After the shower was over, i brought home some left over croissants, salad, and pasta salad.  I will use them as a side for dinner tonight. 

Oh i forgot the final thing, my neighbor and I planted a very small garden in her yard since she gets more sunshine in her yard.  We did this Tuesday, we will have to wait and see what sprouts.

I sure hope everyone else had a great week!

For some more ideas on ways to save....you can check out http://www.zeahrenaissance.blogspot.com/

she shares her Financial Efforts on Fridays, and a few others link up with her.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, poor little dog! We had a Yorkshire Terrier when I was a kid and he was run over and killed when we moved when I was in the 8th grade.
    How frustrating about the crockpot! We have one that is three small small crocks in a buffet type base. The same thing happened to one of them. As well as my griddle. Such is life............

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your dog. You are right, when multiple expenses hit, you have to set your priorities. I hope your pup gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Your poor puppy! He is so cute, MJ. Hope he is feeling ok soon.
    It sounds like your week had its ups and downs, but overall I think your attitude about everything is wonderful. Even when things go wrong you find things to be thankful for. :)
    Your week was very frugal! The soup was a great idea and it was nice that you were able to bring home leftovers from the shower. The popsicles sound really good! I think I am going to try that out- the kids would go bonkers for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little pooch! How nice of that lady to let you borrow the kennel!

    As for the crockpot- that STINKS! You must have been so disappointed, it being new and all. I have seen crocks at thrift stores and yard sales. Keep the base for a while and see what you find in your thrifting this summer. If nothing- crockpots go on sale for $19 around Christmas.

    Love the strawberry lemonade popsicle idea- my children have been filling the popsicle containers with water and eating the 'ice pops'. They are desperate, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dog is adorable! Hope the leg heals perfectly.

    ReplyDelete