Friday, May 16, 2014

Taking you back to a moment in Time....

This was me at 24 with my son being just 5 weeks old.  We lived in Florida at the time he was born and traveled all the way to Delaware for a family reunion.  We almost didn't go because I wasn't sure that it would be the best use of the money we had, considering we knew I was not going to go back to work after my maternity leave was up.  We knew I was going to be a stay at home mom.  We decided to make the trip anyway and in looking back I am so glad that we did. 

My grandmother is not in this particular picture...but she was my best friend, and she was another reason we decided to go to the family reunion traveling over 800 miles with a newborn and spending the last 500.00 we had to make the round trip....it was so important to her...she had been involved in planning it, and I did not know it then, but this trip would be the last time that I would physically see her.  She died just five weeks later. 

I still miss her everyday.  Some of my best child hood memories include her and my grandfather....they were the true definition of what poor was, but I didn't really know that then.  I always had so much fun when I was with them.  It is true that the best things in life are free.  You can love someone and it doesn't cost money, and that is what I remember most...their love for me.  In the picture is actually my great Uncle Joe....he was my grandfather's brother.  And he looked alot like him.  (I lost my grandfather when I was 15.)  I wanted my picture taken with Uncle Joe because I just couldn't get over how much he looked like my grandfather...so I spent that day chatting with him getting to know him and he made me laugh the same way my grandpa used to.  Uncle Joe died a year or so later.  I am glad to have photos to remember special moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment