Sunday, March 29, 2015

Sharing Ways We Save

I am so happy to be able to post.  It has been a frustrating, interesting, and busy week.

I had to make a trip to the ER for abdominal pain early on in the week.  The cause could not be identified, but the only new thing new in my life was some of those new medicines for diabetes, so now I have stopped all the new medications, and I do feel 90 % better.

By Thursday I was exhibiting symptoms of another urinary tract or kidney infection....by Friday I could not ignore it, so another round of antibiotics for me it is!

I was able to thankfully accomplish some things to benefit my family this week.

I made it over to the Salvation Army on Wednesday when almost everything is 50 % off.


I purchased 4 shirts for my son, and a jacket for my daughter that will fit her next year....the shirts were 1.50 each and the jacket was $2.20.  The second picture shows unfortunately that I did not clean my eating area lately.....and a beautiful dress for me that I paid $4.00 for, some more picture frames, yarn, two coffee cups, a jewelry box, and a candle holder.  I also found a tablecloth and tissue paper.  My total was $24.00.

I also sold something online this week for $50.00, but we turned around and invested it in some items for our home, like a very large area rug, and a set of very sturdy dishes at a yard sale.  We were also gifted a couple items from the same place, a purse for my daughter, the game of Clue for my son, a stuffed animal, and a small sewing machine.

As a family, we ended up at Walmart and browsed the clearance section when we stopped by for my medicine, and found two very awesome hats for the kids for Easter for $5.00 each, ,my husband got a new pair of bedroom slippers for $3.00, and I got a new pair of sneakers for $5.00.  I love finding stuff like that.

Ace Hardware also has their paint samples on sale for .99....the samples are pint size.  That just happens to be perfect for repainting my dresser....so I bought three for .99 each.


I have been visiting my local Winn Dixie every Monday now that I know they mark down their meats, dairy, and other things that need to be moved on this day of the week.

I spend about $13 to $15 each Monday but I am working on restocking our freezer (it was empty) so this has been a great blessing.  Since I have been making these little trips, I also earn points towards gas rewards and earned $.10 off a gallon and used that when I filled up our van.

I forgot to take a picture of it, but my bestie knew someone giving away a large filing cabinet.  She brought it to me and found and idea on pinterest to remove the drawers and we laid it down on its side to use as laying boxes for my hens once they are ready to lay eggs.  The empty drawers have been tucked under our porch and I hope to eventually fill them with soil and use them as planters for some small attempt at gardening for me again this year.  (Last years attempt was a flop, but we moved and everything.....and we didn't get alot of sun in our yard for the trees.)

So how was your week.  Tell me all about it!  (Sorry the pictures aren't all that great, I changed phones and the camera on this one just does not seem very good.  I gotta work on finding what works with it.

If you are looking for more tips on saving money...I usually share this information along with some other wonderful people over at www.theprudenthomemaker.com on her Frugal Accomplishments post.

8 comments:

  1. Great deals on your Goodwill items and all the other bargains you scored. Sorry you have been having health issues. Hope the medicine changes help things.
    About not cleaning your eating area...I made a list of large jobs I wanted to complete last week, at least 4 are still on the list ( And I have no kids at home) Funny thing about cleaning is it doesn't go anywhere so you can do it when you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MJ! SO glad to hear that you are feeling better- you had a rough week.
    I love the finds that you got a the thrift store- I am drooling over that dress- I want one just like it!! The mugs are nice and great score on the yarn and everything else! Those shirts for your son and the jacket for your daughter- you cant beat those prices- wonderful!
    All the other finds and deals you scored this week were great too! I like the prudent homemaker blog also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Ace paint tip. Heading down there now... it's the last day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had good luck with garlic tablets and cranberry pills for infections like that. With taking so many antibiotics, eating some yogurt (or taking acidophilus) can help you as well to restore the good bacteria in you.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    Great deal on the dishes and rug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had good luck with garlic tablets and cranberry pills for infections like that. With taking so many antibiotics, eating some yogurt (or taking acidophilus) can help you as well to restore the good bacteria in you.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    Great deal on the dishes and rug!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THank you everyone for the comments...I feel the love..

    Brandy, I will have to try the cranberry pills and garlic tablets, thank you for the tip.

    Anne you are too nice to me....i love that you aren't worried about the cleaning part of things...I have been hounded by outsiders about my cleaning habits some over the years....I always want to achieve perfection...but let's face it...perfection is over rated!

    Dawn, I hope you find your dress!

    Regina, I hope you got your paint...that special was apparently a huge hit in my local area. We only had one ace close to me that sold paint and it was super busy..but you can't beat the price!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry you have been so sick this week..Hope you feel better real soon..
    Great finds.. that dress is so pretty.. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Judy, I do feel mostly better now....just a cold or allergies or something bugging me a little, I hope to get to wear the dress Easter Sunday but she shall see.....I hope you are having a good week too!

    ReplyDelete